Intellectual Property Legal Counsel – Asia-Pacific (Based in Hong Hong)
Longchamp (www.longchamp.com), French luxury leather goods company was founded in Paris in 1948 by Jean Cassegrain. The Longchamp House is owned and managed by the family. The company is primarily known for its leather and canvas handbags, its travel items, and numerous fashion accessories.
The brand is present all over the world. In Asia, it has seen its retail presence and brand awareness growing rapidly with today, a regional office in Hong Kong supporting subsidiaries in Hong Kong, China, Korea, Singapore and Malaysia and a distribution network through Wholesale, Franchisee (South East Asia and Oceania) and Travel Retail sales channels (Asia).
Consequently, Longchamp created a role of Intellectual property (IP) legal Counsel Asia-Pacific (based in Hong Kong regional office) to be the in-house trusted representative of HQ IP team (based in Paris) and assist dealing effectively with the fast growing challenges with regards to counterfeiting/ trademark/ intellectual property, design infringements, its brand is facing in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Based in : Hong Kong / Hong Kong
- Contract : 01/2019 - permanent
Reporting organizationally to the CEO APAC & Japan and operationally to the IP Head of Department (Based at HQ Paris), you will primarily focus on China (60%) and other markets (in order of decreasing importance): Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, etc. (40%).
You are responsible for:
• Ensuring an effective implementation and enforcement of the company brand protection and anti- counterfeiting strategy defined by HQ Paris with a key focus on offline retail, production & manufacturing aspects. Cyber-counterfeiting will be for the time being managed remotely by HQ Paris IP team, but you will actively participate to it.
• Maintaining the right network of highly ethical and trusted partners (local law and solicitor firms, investigators…).
• Creating a high level of relationship and engagement with the respective market competent governmental authorities (customs and excises, police, anti-counterfeiting, ...) by establishing direct communication channels.
• Acting as an effective interface between HQ Paris, Asia-Pacific regional office, Asia- Pacific regional external partners and relevant market’s local authorities to provide effective coordination between different parties and timely management of all cases to ensure successful outcome.
• Acting as the trusted in –house eyes and ears of IP HQ Paris team and provide relevant field analysis, research, observations and feedback to adjust and optimize the effectiveness of the strategy, actions and tools.
• To deliver (anti-counterfeiting) trainings to representatives of relevant authorities.
Function skills : administrative ( legal )
Product skills : fashion accessories ( handbags, travel bags - shoes - small leather goods, belts - silk, printed textile (scarves, ties, etc.) - watches - pencils, lighters - eye glasses - fine jewelery - costume jewelery ) fashion textile ( women )
Product category : Luxury
Business sectors : manufacturer ( fashion, textile & apparel )
• You have a minimum of 5 years of total working experience including at least 3 years in Intellectual Property (IP).
• You have ideally worked for a legal firm for a minimum of 2 years. Candidates with only in-house IP experience will also be considered for this role.
• You have ideally been servicing or working for international retail companies (premium & luxury beauty, Fashion, accessories). Experience with FMCG, Consumer Electronics will also be considered.
• You are rigorous, detail minded, organized with communication skills combining assertiveness and diplomacy and a high degree of integrity and trustworthiness.
• You enjoy autonomy and remote reporting, as well as being regularly in the field with relevant partners and authorities and punctually with our Asian business teams.
• You are willing to travel around 30% of your time.
• You are a degree holder in law or business related major with post graduate relevant specialization in intellectual property or experience
• You are fluent in English. Fluency in Mandarin is a plus.
Experience years : 2 to 5
Language skills : english (business proficient)