Chief Commercial Officer Greater China - Luxury Division
Our client is an international selective retailing group specialised in multi-product categories ranging from premium to lifestyle to luxury segment with 4,500 stores covering 32 countries worldwide including a strong hold in Asia Pacific Region.
In Asia, their Luxury division (Fashion Ready To Wear, Leather goods, Eyewear, Watches & Jewelry and Beauty...) is fast expanding with mono-brands and multi-brand fashion retail boutiques in Hong Kong, China, Australia, Malaysia and Singapore. Their brands portfolio includes famous international lifestyle, affordable luxury and luxury fashion & accessories brands from Europe, and the USA.
To support the rapid and exponential growth of their Greater China business (2018 annual revenue doubled compared to previous year), they are searching for high caliber candidate for the newly created role of Chief Commercial Officer to be based in Shanghai and to manage China and Hong Kong markets.
- Based in : Shanghai / China - all provinces
- Contract : 07/2019 - permanent
Member of Executive committee, directly reporting to the CEO greater China (international profile), you will lead a team of 7 direct reports (total team: about 20-30 people) covering Retail operations support, Buying/ Merchandising, VM, Retail Training, CRM, Logistic, and inventory management. You will be ultimately responsible for:
-- Achieving company ambitious targets and expansion while supporting optimum store operations profitability.
-- Acting as a key stakeholder in consolidating and expanding partnerships and business opportunities with brands principals.
-- Strengthening the division's Luxury culture & Retail excellence and to achieve best-in-class recognition internally and externally.
-- Act as a key source of market insights to regional and global teams about Greater China Luxury business specificity, to get alignment and implement necessary action plans.
To achieve that, your main duties will be:
1. Retail operations management and store planning:
- Enhance operational processes efficiency: Customer Service, Inventory management, VM, VIP management, logistics and warehouse operations, SAP, back-office operations...
- Analyze and monitor business performance (sell through, margin, markdowns, events effectiveness…) to ensure store profitability.
- Achieve operational excellence and develop Luxury Retail mind-set (increase customer loyalty, adaptation and implementation of various training programs, Retail academy...)
2. Buying/ Merchandising, Planning/Allocation and Inventory management:
- Work closely with regional buying team and global team to define buying budgets and optimize product purchasing and inventory in line with group requirements (OTB, margin...).
- Prepare necessary reporting and analysis in order to define corrective action plans and implement them accordingly.
- Manage merchandise logistics process (deliveries, imports...) to optimise logistics cost and maximise sell-though.
3. Store planning and development
- Lead commercial component of new business planning (Category / brand mix, margin targets...)
- Support new store planning and efficient store opening (from planning, conception definition, staff training and support services set up).
4. Brand Portfolio Management and Business Intelligence:
- Actively participate in identifying, planning and realising business development opportunities with existing and new partners (Brand Principals, landlords).
- Gather market and competitive intelligence for Greater China market (sales data, market trends, brand strategies, competitor strategies and development...) to support Luxury retail concept development (brand portfolio, product categories mix relevance...).
5. Team Management and development
- Recruit, manage and coach the team (definition of most efficient organisation and objectives, performance reviews, succession planning...)
- Implement staff incentive/development programs to drive profitability and to increase retention.
Function skills : general management ( GM marketing/sale route ) retail store ( division (DMM) / general (GMM) manager - manager of wholly owned store chain )
Product skills : fashion accessories ( handbags, travel bags - shoes - small leather goods, belts - silk, printed textile (scarves, ties, etc.) - watches - pencils, lighters - eye glasses - fine jewelery - costume jewelery ) fashion textile ( women - men )
Product category : Middle-market / High-end
Business sectors : distribution / retail ( travel retail & duty free )
- Minimum 15 years of relevant experience in Commercial and Merchandising functions including +8 years at senior managerial level for multi-brand / multi-site retailing organisations.
- Detailed understanding of Luxury fashion store operation and solid knowledge in premium or Luxury product category (such as Fashion Accessories, RTW, Leather goods, Beauty or Jewellery…)
- Accountable, results driven with proven track record of achieving highest standards of work quality and customer experience.
- Strong entrepreneurial drive, self-motivated, able to zoom in and out from details and strategy,
- Flexible and adaptable with positive attitude towards change and fast business expansion.
- Strong managerial leadership combined with excellent interpersonal and communication skills within matrix organization
- Solid acumen for figures, solid analytical with experience in creation of budgets, processes and reports
- Fluency in English and Mandarin Chinese required
- Willing to travel at least 30%-40% of your time
Experience years : above 15
Language skills : english (business proficient) - chinese - mandarin (business proficient)